couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Lemenkov <lemen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.2 release, Round 1
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:23:18 GMT
Hello

2010/11/26 Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org>:

> We always patch Mochiweb to fit our needs that are divergent from the
> upstream project. It isn't safe to assume an independent cut of Mochiweb
> will just work.

Well, it isn't even safe to assume that it will work on an arbitrary
system with different set of underlying libraries and tools. So we
just play for the stable API/ABI interfaces. Shipping internally a
small set of libraries isn't enough - you need to ship js, libicu,
erlang and so on.

> e.g. we're changing the default handling of encoding integers in mochijson2
> among other things.

Fortunately it's not very diverged from upstream - it just too old. I
re-checked (as I did every couchdb release since 0.10.2) what was
added in CouchDB internal copy - I don't see what changes from CouchDB
copy are  still missing in upstream repository (perhaps someone from
Mochi is monitoring your work and quickly applies changes if any).

> I'd strongly suggest to not build a package that is seemingly like our
> release but has subtle differences or bugs.

It hasn't any known bugs related to my changes (i mean I wasn't aware
of them - not that they doesn't exist). So that's a pure speculation.
On the other hand your copy of mochiweb does contains known defects
already fixed in upstream. Not sure whether they affect CouchDB
operation though.

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.