couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Mikeal Rogers <mikeal.rog...@gmail.com>
Subject Futon2
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2010 22:21:57 GMT
I've been working for some time now on a rewrite of Futon. It's not in a
state we can start working on a merge in to trunk. I don't have any known
bugs and all the features are there although I'm sure there are some UI
tweaks we'll want to continue to make.

I've added a JIRA ticket and a patch

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ManageAttachments.jspa?id=12480262

Here is the description from the ticket

This is a complete rewrite of Futon as a single page app using sammy.js.

I've been working on it for some time at

https://github.com/mikeal/couchdb/tree/sammy

Changes
-------------
- Everything expect for session.html is loaded dynamically as a content
replace to index.html.
- The total amount of javascript loaded at any time is about 1/3, a
combination of removing abstractions and some very large jQuery plugins.
- Load times for all pages is dramatically reduced
- URL structure of futon now mimics the CouchDB REST API except at #/
- An intended side-effect of the new URL structure is that the button to
pull up the current page as a request to CouchDB works *everywhere*
- Unified error handling (Any network or HTTP error is now displayed as
error bubbled at the top of the page content)

- All "paging" is now done inline making the loads faster and more usable
- Many dialogs have been removed in favor of simpler UI elements (as a side
effect it's more mobile friendly).
- All dbinfo is in database page as well as the "total size" calculated from
the db size and the size of all the views.
- db page includes support for start/end queries against _all_docs

- Stats page now includes all info from _stats
- added _changes page
- Cleaned up loading of test files (faster and parallelized now). The test
are now automatically sorted alpha regardless of the order in the array
definition.

- New Document viewer/editor
-- In-line "auto-save"
-- Full revision information and restoration
-- New UI shows all arrays and objects as initially collapsed to improve
handling of large docs.
-- Load time, even with incredibly large objects, is almost instance (a
combination of not using a table and only creating elements in the expanded
view after you click to expand them)

- New Views Page
-- Emphasis is now on building queries with building view functions a
secondary function.
-- All view options exposed, options now allowed are disabled.
-- All queries can be built in this view and then
-- Creating new views, and editing views, is now a process of editing and
saving design documents, all usage of temp views has been removed.
-- include_docs expand/collapse when in query