couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Filipe David Manana <fdman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: tracking upstream dependencies
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2010 21:19:30 GMT
On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 9:02 PM, till <till@php.net> wrote:

> How often does it happen that CouchDB has to patch/modify software
> like Mochiweb? And what are the chances to push the patches to
> upstream prior to releasing CouchDB. I realize this could slow down
> the release process, but it would make a cleaner build.

With ibrowse it happened very often lately.
Sometimes serious bugs take weeks or months to get applied (yeah, it's
not just bug reports, it's bug report + patch). Like for e.g:

https://github.com/cmullaparthi/ibrowse/issues#issue/20  (not yet applied)
https://github.com/cmullaparthi/ibrowse/issues/closed#issue/17
https://github.com/cmullaparthi/ibrowse/issues/closed#issue/7

> Till
>
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>> The release artefact absolutely should not, ever, pull down files from the network.
However, I can see a way forward by having the bootstrap script manage the bundling of external
dependancies. The bootstrap script should only ever be run from a checkout of the code. Whatever
it downloaded and prepared would be included as part of the release artefact.

>> But assuming we got this working, we face the problem of not being able to apply
our own patches. Also, the software it downloads might have some bug in it that was introduced
a week, day, or hour before the release was made. How would we defend ourselves against this?

>> On 26 Nov 2010, at 20:38, Adam Kocoloski wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all, there's a discussion in the 1.0.2 voting thread about better tracking
of upstream dependencies like mochiweb.  One point that keeps getting brought up is that
build systems should not need network access.  Is that a rule which applies to building from
an SCM repo, or only to builds of release artifacts?

>>> I think we might be able to make our lives easier if we only bundled upstream
dependencies at release generation time, and otherwise relied on the build system to retrieve
them.  For a concrete example, BigCouch recently switched to using rebar for dependency resolution.
 The main repo at https://github.com/cloudant/bigcouch only has the couch OTP application
in it, the other dependencies are pulled from forked git repositories containing CouchDB-specific
branches and tags such as https://github.com/cloudant/ibrowse/tree/CouchDB-1.0.1

>>> If the no-network-access rule does apply to SCM builds, we might consider bundling
full git repos instead of doing the source code copy/paste dance.  At least this would allow
a clearer indication of where we stand w.r.t upstream.  Best,

--
Filipe David Manana,
fdmanana@gmail.com, fdmanana@apache.org