couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jeroen Janssen <jeroen.jans...@gmail.com>
Subject couchdb crash without info in logfile?
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 09:49:21 GMT
Hello,

I am currently investigating the migration of data to couchdb and am
experiencing couchdb crashes that are not visible in the couchdb.log
file.
These couchdb crashes have occured on Windows (couchdb 1.0.1, erlang
14A) and RHEL5 (couchdb 1.0.1, erlang R12B).

I understand it could be a bit difficult to answer, but I was
wondering what kind of errors would result in couchdb not logging an
error in its logfile?

For the moment I am trying to run with debug logging and hope that I
can get some better logging to show you (the problem seems to be
reasonable reproduceable, although it takes a while to get to it).

The problem I have might have to due with me 'frequently' calling
compaction on the database while also new documents are inserted.
I do the compaction because there is a problem with appending to 4G+
files on the Windows platform (in Erlang).
As part of the migration process, I will compact the database after a
certain amount of new documents have been added since last compaction.
This is to ensure that I can get to a situation where all current data
is actually inside couchdb (which unfortunately I have not reached
yet)

I initially thought the problem was maybe due to Erlang on Windows,
but since I have also had the issue on a RHEL5 machine, I am posting
here to see if it could be something in couchdb itself.

Let me know if I can do something specific to get more (usefull) logging.
Unfortunately, due to the data that's inside the database I can not
send the actual database files for analysis, but I will try if I can
create a testscript that mimics the migration of my data to couchdb.

Best regards,

Jeroen Janssen