couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: websockets?
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 18:07:08 GMT
On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 19:03, Benjamin Young <benjamin@couchone.com> wrote:
> The "draft" status isn't what would keep WebSockets out of CouchDB. CouchDB
> uses HTTP for it's API, so unless CouchDB were to pipe HTTP over the
> WebSocket protocol (which would be silly) or implement a straight
> TCP/IP-based API (which is highly unlikely), WebSockets doesn't bring much
> to the table.
>
> If you're looking for "streamed" data from CouchDB, you might checkout the
> _changes feed. There's also been some Comet work done in the past (I think).

Mmm, I think continuous changes as implemented by CouchDB would be a
much better fit for WebSockets than for chunked transfer-encoding, the
way it's done now. I've opened a ticket about this in the past, and I
think at least a few people agree with me on this. One of the holdups
is that mochiweb, the http layer CouchDB uses, doesn't implement
WebSockets yet. There's a fork on GitHub which supports it, but the
mochiweb author has said he wouldn't merge it unless asked
specifically to do so (because he has had no need for the
functionality so far).

Cheers,

Dirkjan