couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <robert.new...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couchdb crash without info in logfile?
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:28:16 GMT
I know that the Windows version does not run 'heart' which is the bit
that restarts beam if it crashes. If that's true in RHEL too, then the
crashes can be explained fairly simply.

B.

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Sebastian Cohnen
<sebastiancohnen@googlemail.com> wrote:
> short reply, inline:
>
> On 18.11.2010, at 10:49, Jeroen Janssen wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am currently investigating the migration of data to couchdb and am
>> experiencing couchdb crashes that are not visible in the couchdb.log
>> file.
>> These couchdb crashes have occured on Windows (couchdb 1.0.1, erlang
>> 14A) and RHEL5 (couchdb 1.0.1, erlang R12B).
>>
>> I understand it could be a bit difficult to answer, but I was
>> wondering what kind of errors would result in couchdb not logging an
>> error in its logfile?
>
> out of memory errors are one example. couch (actually beam.smp) will crash and couch
will be restarted. I've seen this in production when replicating or compacting databases with
documents having lots of revisions (not sure if this will help you though).