couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: About possibly reverting COUCHDB-767
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2010 19:29:25 GMT
On Nov 7, 2010, at 2:20 PM, Adam Kocoloski wrote:

>> Also, with this patch I verified (on Solaris, with the 'zpool iostat
>> 1' command) that when running a writes only test with relaximation
>> (200 write processes), disk write activity is not continuous. Without
>> this patch, there's continuous (every 1 second) write activity.
>
> I'm confused by this statement. You must be talking about relaximation runs with delayed_commits
= true, right?  Why do you think you see larger intervals between write activity with the
optimization from COUCHDB-767?  Have you measured the time it takes to open the extra FD?
 In my tests that was a sub-millisecond operation, but maybe you've uncovered something else.

Oh, now I understand - you're saying that some of the iostat reports come back empty.  That's
really bizarre.

Adam