couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB OTP
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 00:40:58 GMT

On 4 Nov 2010, at 00:33, Tristan Sloughter wrote:

> What complex stuff is the build system dealing with?

Everything outside of "erlc" :)

 - VPATH builds
 - Configuring the install to find the location of C libraries
 - Customising the install for users
 - Setting up the system infrastructure for CouchDB to function
 - Making sure things work across platforms
 - Building customised versions of binaries and scripts

> I'm separating the
> config file (and similar files) problem and the icu and couch_js problem. I
> was hoping building those few C files wouldn't be bad, but I guess that is
> not true from what you are saying?

Doing the build system for an operating system daemon is Hard.

> I'd still say it should be autotools, or whatever, inside an Erlang build
> system.

Basically, I would like to see the new build system separate the package into two components.
The CouchDB OTP application, which is build using some Erlang appropriate build system (like
rebar, or whatever) and everything else. Everything else is handled by Autotools, like it
is now. Autotools is also responsible for delegating the Erlang work off to the other build
system.

A good way forward would be:

	- Decide the minimum set of files needed for the Erlang build.

	- Sandbox them into a directory along with the build files.

	- Create a Makefile.am file in that directory.

	- Hook the new system into the Autotools system.

That should work.

We get to keep teh AWSUM POWAH of Autotools, and have an OTP app. :)

Valediction,