couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: View builder in Futon
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:22:43 GMT
On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Mikeal Rogers <mikeal.rogers@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm working on the new Futon code and I've started working through the view
> builder.
>
> One goal I have is to morph this interface from primarily being used for
> creating map/reduce functions to an interface for creating queries against
> your views since we tend to get more questions about creating queries than
> creating just map/reduce functions.
>
> One question I have is that, for the map/reduce builder UI, we could easily
> change this workflow to create new ddoc's and views rather than using
> tmpviews. In fact it could make the code a lot cleaner and will be much
> faster for testing out queries against a new map/reduce you're working on.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Mikeal

There've been a couple discussions on removing or altering the temp
view mechanics. Since we added the view cleanum/md5 file naming scheme
I've been meaning to factor out all of the temp view code and replace
it with an HTTP handler that saves a design doc with a UUID and then
uses that for the query. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

I know there's still a noticeable crowd that doesn't want to
completely remove the temp view facility, but there is room to make
something similar to what you're describing even a bit more
transparent than changing the _temp_view.

HTH,
Paul Davis