couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Christopher O'Connell" <jwritec...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New Externals: Implemented with tests
Date Sat, 02 Oct 2010 01:38:50 GMT
I think that this is a really nice improvement to externals.

As discussed far in the past, writing a robust external node required a LOT
of threading code to keep a handle on things -- the KD tree implementation I
wrote in Java was almost 80% threading code [1]. Furthermore, the fact that
it doesn't communicate over stdio should make it a lot easier to debug
external processes, as it will be possible to send data directly to the
external process when testing.

I'll be updating the externalJ library to the new paradigm in the next few
weeks.

All the best,

~ Christopher

[1] http://compu.terlicio.us/code/externalj/