couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1001283 - in /couchdb/trunk/etc/couchdb: Makefile.am default.ini.tpl.in
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2010 21:43:45 GMT
On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think what Noah is saying is that ./configure doesn't have the
> ability to set *any* paths,
It's technically feasible.

 I think you can still provide
> good defaults by distributing packages with modified configuration
> files.

Indeed I can patch ini file on distribution to provide my defaults,
like I already said.  But I disagree here. I really think that
./configure options should depends on common packaging usage rather
than something written in  the stone because "that could be done in
the ini file" (Like db dir, view dir, log dir, run dir. Why not just
having prefix in configure ?) .

Anyway, this thread felt in a loop. So introducing a break waiting
more packagers/deployers feedback. Maybe opening a feedback ticket
about it would help?

- benoit