couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1001283 - in /couchdb/trunk/etc/couchdb: Makefile.am default.ini.tpl.in
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2010 14:17:51 GMT
On Sunday, October 3, 2010, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> On 3 Oct 2010, at 00:20, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
>
>> Let me try again. I know I can set the /var/run directory. That's not
>> what I want.  I want to be able to set separately this path. I don't
>> see any reason against it. Why not having this possibility ?
>
> Same reason we don't let configure set the location of any other specific file. You can
set it from the INI configuration. I don't understand the use case that makes this advantageous.

I want to be abble to provide good defaults in packages I distribute.
Distributing!= Configuring, not the same persons, not the sale
business.I don't think my usecase is so isolated. Think for example
about people embedding their couchdb but still want to set this path
in a common place, without allowing configuration. With current way i
can't do it without previously patch the ini file. for me this path is
like setting a socket path. This is setting something that could be
use by external applications. So something that need in my opinion
some grunlarity in packaging.

Now rather than discussing , I think we need a vote on this.

-benoit