couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Koshelev <>
Subject gen_server timeout
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:36:09 GMT
*This message has been posted to users list but get no responses. Hope here
I can get some feedback and solve our critical problem.*

Hi, all!

We at Yandex create the new project and use CouchDB as our primary storage.
We live in the python universe so use python as client-code language and for
view-server. There is number of ready python libraries for CouchDB and we
have chosen -- couchdb-python (

CouchDB is hosted on Ubuntu 10.04 boxes (64bit; 16 Cores; 23GB RAM) with
master + 2 slaves setup. And databases from number of megabytes to some
gigabytes in size.

We faced some strange CouchDB behavior which is related to our view-server
and its integration with storage (I think). We get `timeout` errors from the
storage. This errors appear even when trying to issue a replication, getting
database information (/db/_info) or querying views itself.

Here is some logs with error messages -- .
View-server works fine and has no error messages. But, we've noticed that it
is getting some strange `reduce` requests with empty arguments. Views are
very simple and cannot process input so long.

Our local.ini has `os_process_tmeout` preset with 6000000 (six million
milliseconds) and it doesn't help. It seams that this timeout doesn't event
count and response with `timeout` error returns in some seconds (over 5 I

The same issue we've encountered earlier with Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and
previous version (pre 1.0) of CouchDB.

What do you think about that? Where is our mistake or misconfiguration?

Alexander Koshelev