couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: filter changes for some docids
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2010 12:02:22 GMT

On 18 Oct 2010, at 12:34, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Benoit, all,
>>
>> I'm not too happy with how this turned out.
>>
>> There's multiple things this patch is trying to solve and by thinking about them
separately, I think we can come up with a cleaner, more future-proof design. I'd like to avoid
special casing for situations we think are common but turn out not to be.

>> 1. Built-in filters. Much like built in reduce functions, the _doc_Ids filter could
be built-in. This would allow us to add more built-in filter functions in the future when
we discover patterns there.

> What d you mean by built-in filter ? How would it be called ? If it's
> like _count in reduce function it doesn't solve the case i'm trying to
> solve, ie not creating a function for common case. But I think you
> mean smth like built_in=... , but am not sure it's needed here since
> we have only one case on POST.
>
> So which usage do you expect ? Any example?

I'm thinking: GET /db/_changes?filter=_doc_ids

Where _doc_ids references a built in Erlang function that does filtering
by doc id. Much like _sum or _count for reduce.

How does your scenario differ from this? Maybe I'm just unclear on it.

Cheers
Jan