couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GIT, version & UUID
Date Sun, 31 Oct 2010 18:03:54 GMT
Hi Jonathan,

On 31 Oct 2010, at 17:58, jonathan chetwynd wrote:

> 3 structural questions from a newbie...
>
> is couchdb shortly to move to GIT?
> 	notice at least one couchdb book has.

http://git.apache.org/ & http://github.com/apache/couchdb

The main repo will stay SVN for some more time (until the
ASF Infra team greenlights git for general project use, they
are working on it and then the PMC may start deciding to move).

Some developers already use the git.apache.org mirror to do
all their daily dev work.

> what is the benefit of having a version and a uuid?
> 	iirc GIT uses a single number 'commit' for both

We need to identify single objects by version. Git lumps
together a set of changes to multiple objects into a new
object. The model is quite different.

> is there a reason the GIT commit approach cannot be used by couchdb?
> 	beyond backward compatibility.*

What aspect of the git commit approach are you referring to?
CouchDB's revision ids are md5 hashes over the content of the
current contents of a document.

> *please excuse my brashness, it is a result of naivety and ignorance,
> and apologies for the appearance of advocacy,
> trying to get a handle on the methodology

No worries, we're here to help :)

Cheers
Jan