couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Verify Install
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 18:50:17 GMT
Hi All,

I'm trying to make the CouchDB first run experience a little smoother,
here's what I got today:

A common first-run scenario is:

1. Install CouchDB
2. Run the test suite to verify your installation
3. Profit.

Step 2. can prove tricky. The Futon Test Suite isn't really designed to
"verify an installation". It is designed to fully exercise the HTTP API
and test some internal behaviour.

I propose to add a new menu item to Futon: "Verify Install" which links
to a page that has a minified test runner and includes a tiny subset of
the test suite, just enough to verify CouchDB works as expected.

To start, I limited the tests to creating a database, adding, updating
and deleting documents as well as exercising the JavaScript query
server by running a temporary view as well as a small local to local
replication. I'm sure there's a few more things we want to test, but
I wanted to get this out early.

Right now it just throws the JS exceptions, but I hope we can beef up
the mini runner to make sensible suggestions about what could be
wrong with an installation. Say the view query fails, we could point
users to resources on how to fix that.

The code lives here: http://github.com/janl/couchdb/tree/verify_installation

See the commit here: http://github.com/janl/couchdb/commit/5fdeb2beefb0fc9a7d3d2330cadd75fd337b03dc)

--