couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: filter changes for some docids
Date Sun, 17 Oct 2010 17:20:30 GMT
Hi Benoit, all,

I'm not too happy with how this turned out.

There's multiple things this patch is trying to solve and by thinking about them separately,
I think we can come up with a cleaner, more future-proof design. I'd like to avoid special
casing for situations we think are common but turn out not to be.

1. Built-in filters. Much like built in reduce functions, the _doc_Ids filter could be built-in.
This would allow us to add more built-in filter functions in the future when we discover patterns
there.

2. POST-ing arguments to _changes. This is needed because there are practical limits on the
URL length so we can't send a large number of URL parameters. This is the same reason we have
POST to views.

Together, 1. & 2. can solve what you need and they also help us keep the improvements
Filipe said could be roll into the replicator while at the same time we don't code ourselves
into a corner for future additions.

What do you think?

Cheers
Jan