couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Bichay <bic...@gmx.net>
Subject continuous connection with jquery
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:06:24 GMT

Hi,

I am trying to implement a continuous _changes connection to couchdb (cloudant) with jQuery
from a different domain (that's why I am using JSONP).

With:

$.ajax({
           url: "http://app264565.heroku.cloudant.com/geocha/_changes?filter=channel/messages_for&include_docs=true&feed=continuous&channel="+geocha.channelId,
           dataType: "jsonp",
           jsonp: "geocha.chat.stateChanged"
         });

where "geocha.chat.stateChanged" is my callback function, I would expect to get invoked each
time the continuous connection gets a new object.

But it does not.

It connects correctly to the correct couchdb server and I can inspect the correct returned
json (even when I am saving new documents), but I am not able to invoke any function for changes.
I tried to append an onreadystatechange event listener:

var connection = $.ajax({
           url: "http://app264565.heroku.cloudant.com/geocha/_changes?filter=channel/messages_for&include_docs=true&feed=continuous&channel="+geocha.channelId,
           dataType: "jsonp",
           jsonp: "geocha.chat.stateChanged"
         });

connection.onreadystatechange = geocha.chat.stateChanged;

But as a JSONP-Connection is not a real XMLHttpRequest object that is not possible.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

I tried heaps of different things ($.get, $.getJSON, $.jsonp plugin). But it is always the
same problem.

I just need a way to invoke a function for each new arriving json.

Thanks
Tom