couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replacing the _external API
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2010 18:49:45 GMT
David,

I think _externals would be deprecated and released after a couple
versions. Is there a specific reason for wanting to keep the stdio
protocol around? As to Erlang externals, I would probably classify
anything running in the same VM as a plugin like what Volker is doing
with GeoCouch.

Also, I don't think that the view server is quite the same metaphor.
The "couch_native_process" is mostly a misnomer that I've apologized
for many times. On the other hand, the idea for "externals" is that
they're always outside the VM, rather than an abstraction for
something inside the VM. If that makes any sense I guess...

HTH,
Paul Davis