couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1001283 - in /couchdb/trunk/etc/couchdb: Makefile.am default.ini.tpl.in
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:56:50 GMT
On Wednesday, September 29, 2010, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> On 29 Sep 2010, at 13:59, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

>>> This seals the deal for me.
>>
>> I don't say we should, but changing a configuration file isn't the
>> same as a command line option we could use in a deployment script.
>> Something like it is generally possible in most program distribution
>> around. This is for me like changing pidfile path or socket path on
>> other programs.
>>

>>> How about:
>>>
>>>        - No command line options, and no daemon options.
>>>
>> -1
>
> Say you've installed a CouchDB into some path, and you're running it in a situation where
there are many CouchDB instances, or things are configurable regularly. You're already using
a custom INI file for each CouchDB, and you already have the ability to customise the URL
file from there.

> So three questions:
>
>         - Why would you need to change the configuration so regularly?
>
>         - Why can't you use the INI file?
>
>         - Why does the same argument not apply to every other option in the INI file?
>
> As far as I see it, the command line options control how the process is started, not
what it's configuration is once it has started. In my mind, it is important to keep this separation
of concerns intact.

i didn't speak about command line but configuration option.