couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Addition of modify-on-document-write hooks
Date Sun, 19 Sep 2010 18:04:20 GMT
On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 5:37 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On 14 Sep 2010, at 03:26, J Chris Anderson wrote:
>

>> On Sep 13, 2010, at 6:23 PM, Simon Metson wrote:
>>
>>> Hi James.
>>>      I think the thing to do is require that a document has a user field,
and that the value of that field matches the userCtx in the validate_doc_update function.
This then pushes the issue client side, and makes the servers life easier. It could also be
added by the front end apache in the case of our deployment, I think. I can see this sort
of trigger thing being a good way of giving people a loaded gun aimed at their foot, they
certainly are in Oracle if you're not careful.
>>> Cheers
>>> Simon
>>
>> The big issue is that any code which runs on normal document updates, will also run
during replication, as replication is just a normal client. So this means that adding a field
will happen not just on the original client PUT but also when replication happens.

>> This is why _update is a separate handler.
>
> Adding a required field should be idempotent (correct me if I
> am wrong) so it doesn't matter that replication is an agent of
> the user.

people want to add timestamps. they will call it doc.created_at and
then be surprised when it behaves like doc.replicated_at

the alternative of not setting doc.created_at unless it is null leaves
open the potential for clients to spoof timestamps (just like they can
now).

so I don't see a real use case for something like this, except for
trivial things like forcing that doc.foo == "foo" always, but what's
the point in that?

Chris

> In the past we talked about "blessing" a ddoc / update function
> that would magically invoke the update function on every write.
> (analog for _show and _list) and people seem to like to explore
> that idea. That said, the "magic" bit worries me a little :)
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --
>

>> Chris

available. For the security model I with to implement in a production CouchDB cluster, I would
like to be able to force a field to be written to all docs based on the user context. The
_update functionality is not what I am after as it requires the user to actually call it when
writing a document (means security could be got-around by not calling this, and setting the
required field in the passed document to something arbitrary, which would then not get caught
by a validation function), and can't modify a document which is passed to it (as far as I
can tell it can only modify existing documents, or create new ones).

but wonder if this would be welcome in the trunk, or if there are killer pitfalls which stop
this being possible. I note that in the discussion on that ticket there is talk of how to
deal with multiple such modify-on-write functions, perhaps this is one area that needs discussion?

it would be good to make it generic and globally useful such that I can contribute it back.
I know of a number of people who would like this functionality...

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net