couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: multiview on github
Date Sat, 18 Sep 2010 00:55:10 GMT
On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Norman Barker <norman.barker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bob,
>
> I can and have been testing the multiview at this scale, it is ok
> (fast enough), but I think being able to test inclusion of a document
> id in a view without having to loop would be a considerable speed
> improvement. If you have any ideas let me know.

I just want to bump this thread, as I think this is a useful feature.
I don't expect to be able to test it in the coming weeks, but if I did
I would. Is anyone besides Norman using this? Has anyone used it at
scale?

Cheers,
Chris

> thanks,
>
> Norman
>
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Robert Newson <robert.newson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm sorry, I've had no time to play with this at scale.
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Norman Barker <norman.barker@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> are there any more comments on this, if not can you describe the
>>> process (in particular how to obtain a wiki and jira account for
>>> couchdb which I have been unable to do) and I will start documenting
>>> this so we can put this into the trunk.
>>>
>>> Bob, were you able to do any more testing with large views, are there
>>> any suggestions on how to speed up the document id inclusion test as
>>> described below?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Norman

the mailing list but this is *view intersection*? Is there a 5 line summary of what this does
somewhere?

not all of the other daemons are gen_servers. OTP allows this but I think this is a good area
where some CouchDB guidelines on plugins would apply.

trickier aspects of using CouchDB, particularly for new users coming from the SQL world. People
are also reporting issues with performance of views, I guess often because reduce functions
go out of control.

available as plugins. I would put GeoCouch in the same category. Its very neat and timely
(given everyone wants to know where everyone else is using their telephone but without talking
other than asynchronously), but a server plugin architecture that would allow this to be done
cleanly should come first.

and committers weigh in on this and set some direction.

a test case

are already asking for

GeoCouch, but that

--