couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1001283 - in /couchdb/trunk/etc/couchdb: Makefile.am default.ini.tpl.in
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2010 19:08:54 GMT
On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Filipe David Manana
> <fdmanana@apache.org> wrote:
>> Looks like I started an avalanche.
>>
>> Why not 2 files, like:
>>
>> var/run/couchdb/couch.http
>> var/run/couchdb/couch.https
>>
>> each one would be a CSV (or tab separated, or new line, or whatever)
>> list of  host:port elements.
>> ?
>>

> About this issue, what is the usecase of having all urls on fs ?
> Couldn't  just have one for open and let app see in /_config ?
>
> - benoit

And which one do we put on the file system? Its not possible to know
which url a client will need to access, only the client will be aware
of the network configuration at their specific site. Since CouchDB
can't decide, it needs to provide clients with the information
necessary for making the decision.

Also, in real life, I doubt most people will ever have more than two
entries in this file. Right now, its not even possible to have more
than two.

HTH,
Paul Davis