couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1001283 - in /couchdb/trunk/etc/couchdb: Makefile.am default.ini.tpl.in
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2010 01:18:01 GMT
On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> On 28 Sep 2010, at 00:50, Chris Anderson wrote:

>>> Just wondering how a client would use them. If there are three bind addresses,
how do you know which one to use? I'm not sure I understand the use case here. Not that I
don't think clients need to know how to speak to the running CouchDB, just that I don't understand
the circumstances around it well enough.

>> you might want to bind to :80 and :5984, for obvious reasons. now
>> people do that with a proxy, but you could do it with Couch, too.
>
> I get that. :)
>
> Just wondering what the circumstance will be around having two non-SSL ports open on
the same CouchDB instance. Will this EVER happen? If so, how would you figure out which line
in the file was the correct one?

Multiple public interfaces and binding ssl to a subset? What does it
matter why so much as "not obviously unpossible". In the land of "not
obviously unpossible" as long as we don't have different semantics on
what's served to any given port, then an idea of "the right one" is
rather unimportant and fairly client specific, ie, "the only public
interface I have access to."

Paul