couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: escript tests
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:28:13 GMT
On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 5:17 AM, Andrey Somov <py4fun@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I like CouchDB and I would like to read its source to understand it better.
> While reading the code I have already discovered places where it can
> be improved (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-800)
>
> I find it very helpful to run and debug tests.
>
> 1. Some test fail - I get endless loop. Are the escript  tests
> maintained ? (If yes I will try to find out what is wrong with my
> setup)

They're maintained, but they're not widely run outside the main
committers. If you have issues or patches for them we'd be glad to
have them so they run everywhere.

> 2. '020-btree-bacisc.t' test only works with big lists. When the
> rows() method returns less then 40 then the test fail. Does it mean
> that the BTree does not work with small portions of data ? May the
> test be changed (or added) to be able to process 3-5 values because it
> would be much more convenient to follow the execution with the
> debugger ?

That's unintentional. I can't say I've ever tried running with a small
number of rows. If its a simple change I'd be willing to add it. If it
becomes a big change I'd probably ask you to add another test to
exercise things with smaller numbers of rows.

> 3. If I find a place where the code may be improved shall I first
> raise a question in this list or should I create an issue with a patch
> and an explanation ?
>
> --
> Andrey

Either or really. Feel free to ask here or in IRC before you do too
much coding on something. If you've already have patches or find
obvious things, the best place to report them is in JIRA and not here.
All patches from non-committers must go through JIRA and JIRA
automatically sends this list an email.

HTH,
Paul Davis