couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1001283 - in /couchdb/trunk/etc/couchdb: Makefile.am default.ini.tpl.in
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2010 19:41:25 GMT
On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> About this issue, what is the usecase of having all urls on fs ?
>>> Couldn't  just have one for open and let app see in /_config ?
>>>
>>> - benoit
>>>

>> And which one do we put on the file system?
> The first one, apps won't care, we only run one couchdb with same data
> on it. If we run real virtual hosting with different data, the pb
> would be different
>

>> Also, in real life, I doubt most people will ever have more than two
>> entries in this file. Right now, its not even possible to have more
>> than two.
>
> and for above reason, we don't really need to care. Only one ip is enough.

What if the client doesn't have access to the arbitrarily chosen
address? There's no way that CouchDB can guess at all the possible
network configurations to try and make that choice. Even if a random
address works 99% of the time, why make a decision to break things for
the 1%? Even if we list multiple address the client is free to just
try the first one and have it work 99% of the time.

I'm not sure what you mean by virtual hosting and different data or
what problems that might introduce.

HTH,
Paul Davis