couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: adding new macro to couch_db.hrl
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2010 18:11:02 GMT
On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Filipe David Manana
<fdmanana@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
>> I don't like "get" because it clashes with the auto-imported erlang:get (for the
process dictionary).

>> Any reason to prefer a macro over an -import statement?
>
> Just to avoid doing the import everywhere and I still consider
> get_value too long :P
>

>> Adam
>>
>> On Sep 27, 2010, at 1:47 PM, Filipe David Manana wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm getting tired of typing couch_util:get_value(......). It also
>>> consumes too much horizontal space. It's probably the most used
>>> function from couch_util.
>>> I'm thinking of adding a new macro in couch_db.hrl, like:
>>>
>>> -define(value(Key, List), couch_util:get_value(Key, List)).
>>>
>>> -define(value(Key, List, Default), couch_util:get_value(Key, List, Default)).
>>>
>>> Or maybe naming the macro just "get".
>>>
>>> Anyone against it?
>>>

>>> cheers
>>>
>>> --
>>> Filipe David Manana,
>>> fdmanana@gmail.com, fdmanana@apache.org
>>>
>>> "Reasonable men adapt themselves to the world.
>>>  Unreasonable men adapt the world to themselves.
>>>  That's why all progress depends on unreasonable men."
>>

> --
> Filipe David Manana,

>  Unreasonable men adapt the world to themselves.
>  That's why all progress depends on unreasonable men."

I'd have to agree with Filipe that I'd probably rather see a macro
than an import. For some reason or another imports tend to annoy me
because its a layer of indirection between what's being called.
Granted, in some of those cases its probably more of a sign that we
need to break some of the various files into sub modules and what not.
More at 10.