couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1001283 - in /couchdb/trunk/etc/couchdb:
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2010 21:53:35 GMT
On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Noah Slater <> wrote:
> On 26 Sep 2010, at 00:18, Chris Anderson wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Filipe David Manana
>> <> wrote:
>>> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Benoit Chesneau <>
>>> We (me, Paul, Chris, Noah, Robert Newson) were all agreeing on
>>> var/run/couchdb instead of var/lib/couchdb that I rushed into
>>> committing it to trunk.
>>> Sorry, should have waited for more opinions yes, I'll revert if needed.
>> I see the http URL as being much more like a PID file than a database
>> file. Is there something I'm missing?
> It is fine as it is:
> We should rethink the filename though. My original suggestion was to call it "couch.addr"
and only include the network address and port number. But we can't do this until we have a
separate port number for SSL connections - because you wouldn't be able to tell what the protocol
was from this file. Not sure that's a huge issue though. Feedback welcome.

we need to specify the protocol in the file, as you could potentially
have a single couchdb server listening on multiple ports with multiple
protocols. (or even on a non-standard port, like https on 8888 or

so the file could have multiple lines corresponding the the addresses
the server is listening on.

does that make sense?

Chris Anderson

View raw message