couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1001283 - in /couchdb/trunk/etc/couchdb: Makefile.am default.ini.tpl.in
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2010 21:53:35 GMT
On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2010, at 00:18, Chris Anderson wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Filipe David Manana
>> <fdmanana@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> We (me, Paul, Chris, Noah, Robert Newson) were all agreeing on
>>> var/run/couchdb instead of var/lib/couchdb that I rushed into
>>> committing it to trunk.
>>> Sorry, should have waited for more opinions yes, I'll revert if needed.
>>>

>> I see the http URL as being much more like a PID file than a database
>> file. Is there something I'm missing?
>
> It is fine as it is:
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-5.13.html
>
> We should rethink the filename though. My original suggestion was to call it "couch.addr"
and only include the network address and port number. But we can't do this until we have a
separate port number for SSL connections - because you wouldn't be able to tell what the protocol
was from this file. Not sure that's a huge issue though. Feedback welcome.

we need to specify the protocol in the file, as you could potentially
have a single couchdb server listening on multiple ports with multiple
protocols. (or even on a non-standard port, like https on 8888 or
something)

so the file could have multiple lines corresponding the the addresses
the server is listening on.

does that make sense?

--
Chris Anderson