couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From J Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Migrating Wiki to a CouchApp
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2010 05:48:21 GMT
Devs,

With the help of code from Sebastian Cohnen and Paul Davis, I've imported the wiki currently
at http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb to a CouchApp.

Here it is:

http://wiki.couchdb.couchdb.org/page/FrontPage

The work is still preliminary. I haven't vetted all the content, and the wiki software itself
still needs to be polished. But I think in the long run we will be better off as a project
to host our wiki on CouchDB.

First of all, the response time when you click a link will be faster (yay not being a slow
cgi script!) Second, the code is a CouchApp, so not only will we all be able to help improve
it, we can easily replicate the wiki offline for editing, etc.

In the long run it would make sense to ship a copy of the wiki with CouchDB (or at least make
replicating a local instance of it super-simple).

There are some missing features. The most notable one that I don't plan to implement, is email
notifications of changes to pages. I haven't added Atom feeds of recent-changes yet, but I
think that can make up for the missing email feature. What do you think? If email is crucial
to migrating away from MoinMoin, it is possible.

The other missing feature that I think is critical, is some built-in way to revert to old
points in the history of a page. Currently history is stored but to revert would require writing
some more code.

Code is here for those who want to hack:

http://github.com/couchone/pages

Hope you are as excited about this as me!

Chris