couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: why erlang?
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:19:12 GMT

On 16 Aug 2010, at 22:11, Noah Slater wrote:

> On 16 Aug 2010, at 20:52, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>
>> Actually, I'd dispute that.  The INTERNET is perhaps the largest system ever built,
the web rides on top of a lot of lower level infrastructure.  There's a lot of other stuff
riding on top of the underlying IP infrastructure - email, VoIP, chat, etc. - which don't
rely on HTTP.  (Note: I speak as someone who dates back to almost the beginning - I spent
a good part of my career at BBN, just as we were transitioning the ARPANET to TCP/IP, and
it was serving as the hub of the then fledgling Internet).

> I was anticipating this response. :)
>
> My reply would be to state that the Web subsumes the Internet in many ways.
>
>> True.  Though, it has also lead to (IMHO) abortions such as SOAP - which Dave Winer
initially wrote as a way to use HTTP to tunnel traffic through firewalls.

> LOL
>
> I think you mean XML-RPC, but they're both as bad as each other.
>
> In either case, they are so hilariously against everything the Web stands for, it's not
really applicable!

I'd like to add that Miles does have a point, but we have good reasons to have HTTP for now
and in the future. It doesn't mean that applying specializations where applicable is not an
option (double negative :).

Cheers
Jan