couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From J Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: why erlang?
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:31:58 GMT

On Aug 16, 2010, at 1:28 PM, Robert Newson wrote:

> Just one point from me. The distributed goop in Erlang is pretty much
> just for the everyone-connected-to-everyone-else old school cluster
> model. I don't think it's useful for the kind of scale I associate
> with CouchDB at all.

Just my 1 cent:

CouchDB replication is intentionally not special. That is, it is just another web client.
It is designed and intended that other non-CouchDB / non-Erlang softwares can replicate with
Couch.

Keeping everything in HTTP makes it much easier to reason about security and application logic.
Eg: replication is subject to the same policy as direct client access. This takes some time
to wrap your head around, but once you do, you'll realize that any other way would lead to
madness.

That said, I'm not against more-effiecient transports for the existing semantics. They just
seem to be optimizing the wrong thing, as the HTTP overhead doesn't matter in real life.

Also, see for instance Cloudant's code, which uses Erlang transport for clustering of the
same logical Couch. Replication is for bridging multiple logical Couches. However you want
to build a single big Couch, any old transport is fine. Lounge is extra awesome because it's
living proof that you can build a big Couch out of smaller Couches.

Chris