couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: why erlang?
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:11:58 GMT

On 16 Aug 2010, at 20:52, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Actually, I'd dispute that.  The INTERNET is perhaps the largest system ever built, the
web rides on top of a lot of lower level infrastructure.  There's a lot of other stuff riding
on top of the underlying IP infrastructure - email, VoIP, chat, etc. - which don't rely on
HTTP.  (Note: I speak as someone who dates back to almost the beginning - I spent a good part
of my career at BBN, just as we were transitioning the ARPANET to TCP/IP, and it was serving
as the hub of the then fledgling Internet).

I was anticipating this response. :)

My reply would be to state that the Web subsumes the Internet in many ways.

> True.  Though, it has also lead to (IMHO) abortions such as SOAP - which Dave Winer initially
wrote as a way to use HTTP to tunnel traffic through firewalls.

LOL

I think you mean XML-RPC, but they're both as bad as each other.

In either case, they are so hilariously against everything the Web stands for, it's not really
applicable!