couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: why erlang?
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:55:24 GMT
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 13:44, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> On 16 Aug 2010, at 21:38, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>
>> There have been some of these built on top of HTTP, but the purist in me really dislikes
violating layering.

> I'm a little out of my depth here, but is that really the case? The things you're talking
about sound like patterns to me, not layer-specific details. What makes that pattern any less
applicable at a higher level in the network stack?

Exactly, Noah. The purist in me dislikes the fact that HTTP
implementations assume their URIs are IP addresses and that the
transport layer is TCP. No reason the former shouldn't be node ids in
an overlay nor that the HTTP request/response headers shouldn't be
forwarded across said overlay.