couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@couch.io>
Subject Re: Proposal for changes in view server/protocol
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2010 18:39:24 GMT
On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 01:35, Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com> wrote:

> Either way we're waiting for a response from couch to call back into
> JS, it's just whether we're calling the original function or the
> continuation.
> I don't have a strong preference either way, but I do slightly favor
> the callback continuation as a mild style preference.

I have to say, callback style is way nicer. I have not thought about how
that would look from non-Javascript query servers though.

> In either case, do we have to add some new response format so the
> query server can say "Hey call me again and tell me what to do with
> this result?"
> In other words, both of our suggestions can work on top of the same
> change that needs to happen to the view server line protocol, so you
> can code up either one and we can settle on what it should look like
> to people writing update handlers later, no?

I suppose so. But I am unclear because earlier in the thread I posted
working code that allows me to handle save conflicts (or validation
failures) from within javascript, with no change to the line protocol. (That
is about all it has going for it in fact!)

--
Jason Smith
Couchio Hosting