couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <robert.new...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: multiview on github
Date Sun, 22 Aug 2010 22:15:03 GMT
I'm concerned about the performance of this on non-trivial databases,
given the iteration of all items between startkey and endkey. I don't
have time to test it this week but I'd be interested to hear the time
it took to do a multiview on two views of, say, a million rows each
(especially as compared to the two normal view calls).

I was also intrigued to see the code handles fti too, a problem I have
spent some time thinking about without finding a satisfactorily
performant solution too. I note that, as written, it doesn't appear to
work because the fti call (I'm assuming couchdb-lucene) will only
return the top N matching hits, so at best you can filter those
against another view (perhaps that's useful?). The trick to merging a
view and an fti result together would be to get the results from both
in the same order and step through the rows, filtering as you go.
Sorting in Lucene has a large memory hit so I gave up on that
solution.

Finally, your patch appears to add two generated files (local_dev.ini
and etc/init.d/couchdb) to the branch which should be fixed (add your
settings to default.init.tpl.in instead).

I should end by saying that if the problems above can be solved then
this would be a very useful addition to CouchDB and one that is
frequently requested. It might also be a model for multi-machine
views.

B.

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Norman Barker <norman.barker@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to take this multiview code and have it added to trunk if
> possible, what are the next steps?
>
> thanks,
>
> Norman
>
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Norman Barker <norman.barker@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have made
>>
>> http://github.com/normanb/couchdb
>>
>> which is a fork of the latest couchdb trunk with the multiview code
>> and tests added.
>>
>> If geocouch is available then it can still be used.
>>
>> There are a couple of questions about the multiview on the user /dev
>> list so I will be adding some more test cases during today.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Norman
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Norman Barker <norman.barker@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> this is possible, I forked geocouch since I use it, but I have already
>>> separated the geocouch dependencies from the trunk.
>>>
>>> I can do this tomorrow, certainly be interested in any feedback.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Norman

And