couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RFC: Releasing 1.0.1
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2010 18:51:32 GMT
On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 11:50, Damien Katz <damien@apache.org> wrote:
> I see no problem with adding features to point releases, so long as they are unlikely
to cause security/stability issues and don't change existing functionality.

The patch has my review. Looks safe, simple and solid.

> On Aug 3, 2010, at 11:46 AM, J Chris Anderson wrote:

an email from J. Chris in another thread saying he wanted to hold back from 1.0.1 until something
was fixed. Waiting for the all clear. Let me know.

>>> All clear! I don't remember suggesting we should wait, but I'll take your word
for it.

>> Did I say all clear? Whoops! ;)
>>
>> It's come to my attention that this commit would like to be backported to 1.0.1,
despite not meeting the procedural requirements for backporting. (it's a new feature)

>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?revision=980985&view=revision
>>
>> "Add support for replication through an HTTP/HTTPS proxy."
>>
>> The reason is that our releases are a leaky abstraction, and Ubuntu will be freezing
to a CouchDB release for their next release in a few days.

>> Since Ubuntu is our largest install base, and they would love to be able to offer
sync to users behind proxies, I am +1 on bending the rules for them.

>> The patch itself is not technically risky, as it has no effect unless the user provides
the new replicator option, so the chance of introducing bugs is very small.

>> I am backporting this now, but of course I am open to discussion. The preemptive
backport is meant to ensure that we don't forget to discuss this. If anyone is -1 on the idea,
please let us know, so that we can find common ground.