couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [REPORT] CouchDB
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 18:52:55 GMT
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 13:46, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
> On 17 Aug 2010, at 16:23, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>> On Aug 17, 2010, at 4:32 PM, Sebastian Cohnen wrote:
>>
>>> Developers (no matter if commercial or not) are part of the community like everybody
else, IMHO.

>> Of course they are. This issue is about the concept of "hats". A commercial developer
working on an Apache project on a company time effectively wears 2 hats - an individual and
an employee. Apache is an org of individuals not companies, so here we expect you to be with
your "individual hat" on, e.g. when making development decisions, writing a Board report and
otherwise interacting with the community. This is a fine line to walk to be sure, but so far
it worked out well for the majority of the projects.

> My (Apache hat) reasoning for okaying these entries was that we did mention other significant
extra-project news in the past. The Canonical/Ubuntu adoption was big news, as was the publication
of the O'Reilly book. I classified these two under the same umbrella.

Yup. Both big items. We've seen plenty of book announcements, speech
acceptances, major deployments, etc in the reports. They *are* fair
game, and I don't think anybody is asking to avoid stuff like that.

What struck me about this particular report was "$x is doing $y with
CouchDB" statements, and I think "great. but that is how they are
*using* CouchDB rather than what they are doing *for* the project."
There are lots of companies that monetize Apache projects. We *expect*
them to. But I'd prefer to see reporting on how those companies
directly contribute rather than their use. (yes, I recognize that a
company's success/use of our projects is a form of
advertising/support/help for our projects, but I take that as a given)

I'd be much happier to see a mention in the report that says "$x has
committed their $y platform port into the repository." That would be
exciting, and I'd certainly have no qualms about a company name in the
report :-)

Cheers,
-g