couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: why erlang?
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 18:28:17 GMT
Hi Miles,

since this question comes up every once in a while, I compiled a list of links that directly
or indirectly address the reasons for the choice: http://wiki.couchone.com/page/why-erlang

Cheers
Jan
--

On 16 Aug 2010, at 19:54, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I wonder if someone might share some insight into why Erlang was chosen for CouchDB.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I think Erlang is a really cool language/environment; I'm a big fan
of designs that spawn lots of independent processes, and communicating via messages.  But...
it doesn't seem like CouchDB takes advantage of all that much of Erlang's unique capabilities.

> Hence, I'm sort of wondering why Erlang for CouchDB, and if there are any visions of
taking more advantage of Erlang down the road.