couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From J Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [REPORT] CouchDB
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:49:31 GMT

On Aug 17, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 13:46, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Of course they are. This issue is about the concept of "hats". A commercial developer
working on an Apache project on a company time effectively wears 2 hats - an individual and
an employee. Apache is an org of individuals not companies, so here we expect you to be with
your "individual hat" on, e.g. when making development decisions, writing a Board report and
otherwise interacting with the community. This is a fine line to walk to be sure, but so far
it worked out well for the majority of the projects.

>> My (Apache hat) reasoning for okaying these entries was that we did mention other
significant extra-project news in the past. The Canonical/Ubuntu adoption was big news, as
was the publication of the O'Reilly book. I classified these two under the same umbrella.

> Yup. Both big items. We've seen plenty of book announcements, speech
> acceptances, major deployments, etc in the reports. They *are* fair
> game, and I don't think anybody is asking to avoid stuff like that.
>
> What struck me about this particular report was "$x is doing $y with
> CouchDB" statements, and I think "great. but that is how they are
> *using* CouchDB rather than what they are doing *for* the project."
> There are lots of companies that monetize Apache projects. We *expect*
> them to. But I'd prefer to see reporting on how those companies
> directly contribute rather than their use. (yes, I recognize that a
> company's success/use of our projects is a form of
> advertising/support/help for our projects, but I take that as a given)

I think getting CouchDB into the Android marketplace is a huge accomplishment. It also isn't
the sort of thing the Apache project is well set up to do on its own. So just doing this is
giving back to the project in my book.

As far as the hosting stuff, etc, we've been giving back to the open source community (but
not into Apache CouchDB trunk) as generic build tools like this (used for hosting, etc) aren't
really suited for core CouchDB anyway: http://github.com/jhs/build-couchdb

The other stuff is nice because it drives adoption (which matters more than any amount of
bugfixes etc -- who cares about a project no-one uses?)

I agree it'd be nice to spotlight the individual community members in board reports. I also
think some of this is just growing pains, as CouchDB is starting to become larger than the
Apache CouchDB project itself can contain. Maybe it is better to ignore the extra-Apache activity
in board reports. But I'd rather include it, because I'd rather have one strong CouchDB community
(with activity both inside and outside the project) than try to draw a line between different
aspects of the community.

I understand that it is possible for some projects to become primarily commercially driven,
with little given back to the community. At this point, I don't think CouchDB in anywhere
near that, and I hope that in the long term, we never have that issue.

Chris