couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [REPORT] CouchDB
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 17:46:47 GMT

On 17 Aug 2010, at 16:23, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2010, at 4:32 PM, Sebastian Cohnen wrote:
>
>> Developers (no matter if commercial or not) are part of the community like everybody
else, IMHO.

> Of course they are. This issue is about the concept of "hats". A commercial developer
working on an Apache project on a company time effectively wears 2 hats - an individual and
an employee. Apache is an org of individuals not companies, so here we expect you to be with
your "individual hat" on, e.g. when making development decisions, writing a Board report and
otherwise interacting with the community. This is a fine line to walk to be sure, but so far
it worked out well for the majority of the projects.

My (Apache hat) reasoning for okaying these entries was that we did mention other significant
extra-project news in the past. The Canonical/Ubuntu adoption was big news, as was the publication
of the O'Reilly book. I classified these two under the same umbrella.

The not mentioning new committers was clearly an oversight.

In the future we'll try to keep extra-project news to a minimum.

Thanks for all your input!

Cheers
Jan