couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RFC: Releasing 1.0.1
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2010 18:50:06 GMT
I see no problem with adding features to point releases, so long as they are unlikely to cause
security/stability issues and don't change existing functionality.

Is there a protocol somewhere about this?

-Damien

On Aug 3, 2010, at 11:46 AM, J Chris Anderson wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2010, at 6:16 PM, J Chris Anderson wrote:
>

>> On Jul 31, 2010, at 6:09 PM, Noah Slater wrote:
>>
>>> I saw a conversation on IRC tonight about bumping this thread. I noticed an email
from J. Chris in another thread saying he wanted to hold back from 1.0.1 until something was
fixed. Waiting for the all clear. Let me know.

>> All clear! I don't remember suggesting we should wait, but I'll take your word for
it.

> Did I say all clear? Whoops! ;)
>
> It's come to my attention that this commit would like to be backported to 1.0.1, despite
not meeting the procedural requirements for backporting. (it's a new feature)

> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?revision=980985&view=revision
>
> "Add support for replication through an HTTP/HTTPS proxy."
>
> The reason is that our releases are a leaky abstraction, and Ubuntu will be freezing
to a CouchDB release for their next release in a few days.

> Since Ubuntu is our largest install base, and they would love to be able to offer sync
to users behind proxies, I am +1 on bending the rules for them.

> The patch itself is not technically risky, as it has no effect unless the user provides
the new replicator option, so the chance of introducing bugs is very small.

> I am backporting this now, but of course I am open to discussion. The preemptive backport
is meant to ensure that we don't forget to discuss this. If anyone is -1 on the idea, please
let us know, so that we can find common ground.