couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: why erlang?
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:41:51 GMT

On 16 Aug 2010, at 21:26, Miles Fidelman wrote:

>> My reply would be to state that the Web subsumes the Internet in many ways.
>>
> My reply would be that I sure hope not.  The trend toward pushing lower level functionality
on top of application layer protocols really breaks a lot of the resiliency and flexibility
that comes from layering.

Oops, my bad. You are right of course. I meant to illustrate that the Web is built on top
of things, huge things. Like the Internet, and the telephone networks, or anything else you
can shove TCP/IP over. I guess I think of it as being bigger than them because of that, if
not technically, then conceptually. I'm very probably biased though.