couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Migrating Wiki to a CouchApp
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:00:33 GMT

On 13 Aug 2010, at 06:48, J Chris Anderson wrote:

> But I think in the long run we will be better off as a project to host our wiki on CouchDB.

Eating out own dogfood is fine, but for the same reason I objected to BugShrink, I have my
concerns about this. Are we sure that maintenance of this project is not going to take away
valuable time from CouchDB? Do we have anyone who is prepared to take ownership of the project.
Perhaps we could incubate it for a while, to see if it gains a community around it, before
we bless it as official. Much like we did for CouchDB itself.

> In the long run it would make sense to ship a copy of the wiki with CouchDB

I disagree that we should be shipping the wiki with the official CouchDB releases. We want
to keep these as small as possible. Additionally, I'm not very happy about the idea of shipping
data that has not been vetted properly by the committers. However, I was thinking about how
to get around these concerns, but it seems you beat me to the punch.

> (or at least make replicating a local instance of it super-simple).

Bingo.

We could form it like a tutorial even. When you first install CouchDB, you go to Futon, and
there's a documentation section. It explains to you that the project wiki is hosted on CouchDB,
and you can replicate from it. It explains some core concepts, and gives you a big fat button
to press. You press it, the official wiki is replicated to your local machine. You could even
make edits and replicate back. A perfect way to show off some of CouchDB's strengths.