couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net>
Subject Re: why erlang?
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:06:20 GMT
Noah Slater wrote:
> On 16 Aug 2010, at 21:26, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>

>>> My reply would be to state that the Web subsumes the Internet in many ways.
>>>

>> My reply would be that I sure hope not.  The trend toward pushing lower level functionality
on top of application layer protocols really breaks a lot of the resiliency and flexibility
that comes from layering.

> Oops, my bad. You are right of course. I meant to illustrate that the Web is built on
top of things, huge things. Like the Internet, and the telephone networks, or anything else
you can shove TCP/IP over. I guess I think of it as being bigger than them because of that,
if not technically, then conceptually. I'm very probably biased though.
I'm probably biased too - though in the other direction.

For what its worth,  I tend to think in terms of subsets.  Web traffic
is a subset of IP traffic, email is another subset, XMPP (twitter)
traffic is another, VoIP is another.  The superset is more complex than
any of the subsets.

I used to like pointing out that email traffic dwarfs web traffic - not
(for a long time) in terms of bandwidth, but in terms of individual
transactions (particularly these days - just think of the spam that
accumulates while reading one web page).  These days, though, video and
VoIP dwarf both web and email in bandwidth, and I expect that tweets and
SMS messages dwarf email in terms of message counts.  (Come to think of
it, a twitter channel might make a nice vehicle for Couch replication. :-)