couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net>
Subject Re: why erlang?
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:18:23 GMT
Ryan C. Hill wrote:
> There are plenty examples of why HTTP is great for communicating with clients, but I
think Miles is wondering more about communication between one couch-node to another.

Exactly!
> The case for HTTP is less clear in that case, but the lack of clarity might only be temporary.
Besides the direct benefits of shuttleing bits over plain old HTTP within and between data
centers, I can imagine one or two scenarios where replication could be used for communicating
with something other than another couch-node (however ill advised that notion might actually
be).

I'm looking at large-scale information replication applications - 1000s
of nodes distributed over a wide variety of network links, some of them
slow and bouncing.  UUCP (Usenet News) works fine in such an environment.

Couch provides exactly the user/platform level functionality for a class
of applications I've been working on - but the replication just doesn't
seem to scale very well (in contrast to something like Cassandra, which
uses a DHT and a Gossip protocol for replication and node management).

Miles