couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net>
Subject Re: why erlang?
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 19:55:12 GMT
Klaus Trainer wrote:
> I believe the greatest advantage of HTTP over other more efficient
> protocols is that you can easily integrate it with any other web stuff.
> For example browsers.

absolutely
> Of course, there might be way more efficient protocols to support P2P
> replication, but the tradeoff is reasonable, I think.

This is precisely where I see a different protocol being more useful.
I've avoided using Couch in a couple of large, distributed applications
because I really don't want to bite off the management of large numbers
of 2-party links for replication.  A P2P or multi-cast protocol would
avoid that problem.

Miles