couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net>
Subject Re: why erlang?
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 18:55:44 GMT
Noah Slater wrote:
> On 16 Aug 2010, at 19:22, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>

>> I guess I'm just a little surprised that the replication features seem to be independent
of Erlang's underlying inter-node communications capabilities.

> I'm going to hazard an answer here. CouchDB is, primarily, a database built for the web.
That means speaking HTTP. All communication between CouchDB and other agents is, and should
be, done via that route. There has been talk, in the past, about communicating with CouchDB
from within Erlang itself, but that is not a priority for the main project. Pushing things
over HTTP lets us take advantage of 30 years worth of caching, proxying, authentication, and
other Web-stack middleware.
True, but... HTTP is not necessarily an ideal protocol for many-to-many
replication, nor is HTTP 30 years old.  There's a lot of experience that
dates back further - for example, UUCP is probably a much better
protocol for large-scale eventual consistency than the pair-wise
approach currently used by CouchDB.

Miles