couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: why erlang?
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 19:02:32 GMT

On 16 Aug 2010, at 20:55, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Noah Slater wrote:
>> On 16 Aug 2010, at 19:22, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>>

>>> I guess I'm just a little surprised that the replication features seem to be
independent of Erlang's underlying inter-node communications capabilities.

>> I'm going to hazard an answer here. CouchDB is, primarily, a database built for the
web. That means speaking HTTP. All communication between CouchDB and other agents is, and
should be, done via that route. There has been talk, in the past, about communicating with
CouchDB from within Erlang itself, but that is not a priority for the main project. Pushing
things over HTTP lets us take advantage of 30 years worth of caching, proxying, authentication,
and other Web-stack middleware.
> True, but... HTTP is not necessarily an ideal protocol for many-to-many replication,
nor is HTTP 30 years old.  There's a lot of experience that dates back further - for example,
UUCP is probably a much better protocol for large-scale eventual consistency than the pair-wise
approach currently used by CouchDB.

But we have a rock solid implementation (*cough*) that works today :) — Also "better" is
hardly objective :) — Noah was using exaggeration as a device to point out that HTTP is
indeed very awesome for many reasons including tooling, firewall "support" (hehe) and many
more.

Cheers
Jan