couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: why erlang?
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 18:51:21 GMT

On 16 Aug 2010, at 19:22, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> I guess I'm just a little surprised that the replication features seem to be independent
of Erlang's underlying inter-node communications capabilities.

I'm going to hazard an answer here. CouchDB is, primarily, a database built for the web. That
means speaking HTTP. All communication between CouchDB and other agents is, and should be,
done via that route. There has been talk, in the past, about communicating with CouchDB from
within Erlang itself, but that is not a priority for the main project. Pushing things over
HTTP lets us take advantage of 30 years worth of caching, proxying, authentication, and other
Web-stack middleware.