couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <>
Subject Re: [REPORT] CouchDB
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 23:37:44 GMT
Greg, it's my fault for forgetting to report the new contributors. Apologies. Next report I'll
se to it that more of individual community members and their contributions are included.

On Aug 17, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 13:46, Jan Lehnardt <> wrote:
>>> Of course they are. This issue is about the concept of "hats". A commercial developer
working on an Apache project on a company time effectively wears 2 hats - an individual and
an employee. Apache is an org of individuals not companies, so here we expect you to be with
your "individual hat" on, e.g. when making development decisions, writing a Board report and
otherwise interacting with the community. This is a fine line to walk to be sure, but so far
it worked out well for the majority of the projects.
>> My (Apache hat) reasoning for okaying these entries was that we did mention other
significant extra-project news in the past. The Canonical/Ubuntu adoption was big news, as
was the publication of the O'Reilly book. I classified these two under the same umbrella.
> Yup. Both big items. We've seen plenty of book announcements, speech
> acceptances, major deployments, etc in the reports. They *are* fair
> game, and I don't think anybody is asking to avoid stuff like that.
> What struck me about this particular report was "$x is doing $y with
> CouchDB" statements, and I think "great. but that is how they are
> *using* CouchDB rather than what they are doing *for* the project."
> There are lots of companies that monetize Apache projects. We *expect*
> them to. But I'd prefer to see reporting on how those companies
> directly contribute rather than their use. (yes, I recognize that a
> company's success/use of our projects is a form of
> advertising/support/help for our projects, but I take that as a given)
> I'd be much happier to see a mention in the report that says "$x has
> committed their $y platform port into the repository." That would be
> exciting, and I'd certainly have no qualms about a company name in the
> report :-)
> Cheers,
> -g

View raw message